Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Whats your idea of fatherhood?

I was reading this article: http://www.mahoganybaby.com/November2006/dadsspot1106.html

I disagree with it to some extent. What the author is saying is that the concept of fatherhood has evolved into much more than just being the provider of the home. This is true i would think for some people but id give it more credit if a male had written it. It seems alot "information for dads" out there is written by women, and its accepted. Imagine if as a male i wrote a book on what to expect as a mother during pregnancy? o.O

To me, its still very much instilled (as a male) to be the provider for the family. It makes it harder when this may not happen and you have to become a "stay-at-home" dad. To me this would be a bit of a kick to the pride as it still seems that the idea of being the provider is expected. Sure women are earning more and are equal in the workplace, this is a good thing, but its still underlying that the man of the house is the provider.

Finding out that you will become a family is a mixed bag. Definately excited as its what was planned, however then my male mind went from being happy to "this means ill need to work longer, harder to cover what my wife was bringing in, its time to budget, to cut back any enjoyable things i have had (foxtel, WoW etc)" Sure there is maternity leave, but its not long enough, 12 weeks to then go back to work? To have your 12 week old baby go to child care? I don't think so. I can just picture it at the 11 week mark of maternity leave. She is not going to want to go back to work. Im sure it will work out, im self employed which then presents itself with other options but it means finding something I can do at home if my wife does choose to go back to work (just need to come up with that option!). Becoming a Dad is very much feeling your way in the dark. No matter how much information you have thrust into your hand.

Ive read a couple of "Dad" books to try and get an idea of what Im expected to do/react as a dad to be. The problem with these books is that it makes me feel like im the odd one. Some say this would be true! hmm. These books seem to be filled with "candy shop" mentality. For example; pages of "I was so ecstatic that we had a little bundle of joy come into the world, its such a miracle i found myself tearing up when we saw the ultrasound" Hmm get a grip metrosexual, i was more relieved we werent having bloody twins.

So for me my idea of fatherhood is at its core still the provider, as much as things may get tight or not as gourmet as we are used, its still the crux of being a father in my eyes. Being there when needed but also to have fun. Cant be a grumpy old man all the time.

1 comment:

  1. I don't think you are alone in your thoughts Damien. Your status changes but you don't. Little kids have a way of letting you know what they want from you and you'll read the signals instinctively. Dads play.

    ReplyDelete